Multicultural Health Initiative
Stimga can lead individuals to live in denial and often prevent them from seeking help. Cultural background can affect how we label and communicate our distress. Park Center's Multicultural Health Initiative provides improved access to mental health and addictions treatment for underserved populations in the community through a collaborative partnership with Neighborhood Health Clinics, the Fort Wayne Urban League, and Catholic Charities.
Working collaboratively with community agencies to provide quality neighborhood-based mental health services to the minority and immigrant/refugee members of the Fort Wayne community.
LOCATION AND SERVICES PROVIDED:
Therapists provide services at a variety of agencies in the community - including
- Ft. Wayne Urban League at 2135 Hanna St., #3
- Dept. of Health/Medical Annex
- Autumn Woods Catholic Charities office at 1941 Chartwell Drive
- Neighborhood Health Clinics at 1717 S. Calhoun St. and 3350 Paulding Road.
Our Immigrant/Refugee Community Outreach Liaison provides services at Neighborhood Health Clinics, 3350 Paulding Rd. and in the community.
Services provided include education, skills building, care coordination, casemanagement, addictions treatment, and mental health counseling to ages six and older.
The grant is intended to serve those belonging to minority populations, including the elderly, and other underserved persons who have limited access to traditional mental health and addiciton services.
Referrals may be made to any of the three agencies listed below for the Multicultural Health Initiative. A comprehensive assessment will be completed prior to services being provided.
- Referral Form plus instructions on where to send completed referral form.
The program manager for this grant is Kathleen Halbach, who is licensed in both Mental Health Counseling and Addictions.
NEIGHBORHOOD HEALTH CLINICS, 1717 S. Calhoun St., Ft. Wayne, IN
- Kathleen Halbach, LMHC, LCAC, MAC: 458-2655, cell: 615-3331, fax: 458-2545, firstname.lastname@example.org
Emily Bayer, MSW: 458-2641, ext. 3745, cell 615-3326, email@example.com
Neighborhood Health Clinics WEBSITE
FORT WAYNE URBAN LEAGUE, 2135 S. Hanna St. #3, Ft. Wayne, IN
- Rashad Slate, MS: 755-2139, cell: 403-3941, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fort Wayne Urban League WEBSITE
CATHOLIC CHARITIES, 1941 Chartwell Drive, Fort Wayne, IN
- Lauren Myahla, BSPA: 456-8969, ext. 301, cell: 615-3013, email@example.com
- Catholic Charities WEBSITE
Multicultural Health Initiative Advisory Board Members
Tom Allman, Park Center
Jomare Bowers-Mizzel, Links, Inc.
Jane Holliday, Parkview Behavioral Health
Nyein Chan, Catholic Charities
Meg Distler, St. Joseph Community Health Foundation
Kathleen Halbach, Multicultural Health Initiative
James Williams, National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) Fort Wayne Chapter
Mary Haupert, Neighborhood Health Clinics
- Jonathon Ray, Fort Wayne Urban League
- Marcia Haff, Lutheran Foundation
- Patrice Miller, Victims Assistance
- Janet Nes, I.U. School of Social Work
Paul Wilson, Park Center
Other Links and Resources
- Multicultural Health Initiative brochure
- Park Center WEBSITE
- Posters for community awareness - download and print the following PDF's to share the news about mental health and addiction help.
- Burmese language brochures - download and print the following, listed by topic, as needed.